Monday 4 July 2016

A Carnival Party Celebration

We did a carnival themed party this year, how fun is that. I don't think I've ever bought so much candy before. I made the kids each a candy skewer that they could take home, well actually 2 for each child. These were super easy to make.  I will admit that getting the candy on the skewer wasn't always the easiest.


To me carnival says 'colourful', so that is exactly what I did. I found these straws at Ikea and saved them for this special day.


Some ice cream cone sugar cookies (recipe found here) decorated with royal icing (recipe from Sweet Sugar Belle).  I did not make cake pops this time around but I still did find a use for candy melts. I dipped Oreo cookies in the candy melts and then into a bowl of sprinkles, so fun.


I make some rainbow cupcakes which is me just colouring the batter into 6 different colours. They did not turn out as I had envisioned them but the kids still loved them. I did cheat and used a cake mix (gasp! I know but it was easy and yummy - the perfection solution for when you procrastinate)


We filled a corner of our yard with empty boxes and managed to get a few appliance boxes too, those are the best! The kids has so much fun building and destroying what they made.


We had Korki from Clowning Around come to entertain the kids. She is so great with the kids and she is amazing at balloon creations.




And finally the cake. I made a white cake from Butter Baked Goods. I used cream cheese icing from Martha Stewart.  I love the look of those cakes covered in sprinkles, they just look so fun. So, I thought I would give it a try. I used non pareils for the side and let me tell you those tiny little things bounce....everywhere! For the top I used chocolate candies called sixlets. I love the simplicity of this cake!